Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Superbowl Shuffle

The Superbowl is coming, which means that it's time for companies to start blitzing the airwaves with promotions that promise a free trip to the Superbowl for a few lucky customers. We saw a couple of these commercials on TV last night, one sponsored by Sprint and the other by Burger King. It seemed like business as usual, until Michelle pointed out that neither ad mentioned where the Superbowl is being held this year (Detroit). I'm not positive, but it seems like in the past, these promotions included the destination in the commercial, i.e. win a trip to Jacksonville to watch Superbowl XXXIX. I checked out the online versions of these promotions today. Sprint doesn't mention the destination on their contest page, but Burger King does. I can understand how a free trip to Detroit in February (or any month of the year, for that matter) isn't as enticing as one to San Diego or Miami, but I would think the number of people who would be interested enough in a free trip to Superbowl to buy the sponsor's product would be roughly the same regardless of where the game was being played.

Tags:

6 comments:

MDS said...

I'm dreading all the complaints from pampered media types about how crappy Detroit is. Any year that the Super Bowl is held somewhere other than San Diego, I think it becomes the lazy sports writer's easy column: I can't think of anything to say about the game, so I'll criticize the city that's hosting it. And Detroit will be in for much more criticism than any other city.

dhodge said...

The one advantage Detroit has is that no one expects it to be any good. If the weather is not too nasty and the city manages to pull the event off without any major glitches, some people will probably give Detroit some props for being a nicer place than they were lead to believe.

alan said...

I did notice that the Coors Light Silver Bullet train goes by Ford Field at the end of their Super Bowl commerical...not that anyone outside the metro Detroit area would recognize this.

dhodge said...

I noticed that too. I didn't see it chugging past the Pontiac Silverdome, however.

MDS said...

I recently wrote a piece for MSN.com in which I mentioned that February in Detroit isn't exactly the most allurling locale for the year's biggest sporting event. I got an e-mail from a guy from Windsor telling me that I was just part of the typical biased media that won't even give the Detroit and Windsor area a chance. I replied that I'm from Detroit, and then he e-mailed me again telling me that I was still being unfair. I don't think I'll send another reply.

dhodge said...

You're either for Detroit or you're against it, MDS.