Friday, July 04, 2008

Iron Man

After two unsuccessful attempts, we finally caught Iron Man last night. With the exception of the Batman franchise, Michelle is usually more excited about comic book/action adventure movies than I am. While we both enjoyed Iron Man, I definitely liked it more than she did. It's not a theatrical masterpiece, but it's highly entertaining and incredibly whimsical. I suspect that most people don't go into superhero movies hoping for whimsy, but as an unabashed fan of the 1960s Batman TV series, I have always loved superhero movies that don't take themselves too seriously and constantly wink at the audience. If that's not your thing, Iron Man still has enough explosions and high-tech gadgets to keep up appearances.

2 comments:

Michael David Smith said...

I haven't seen Iron Man, but I much prefer superhero movies that treat the heroes as individuals with distinct personalities, and not just as conduits for special effects and stunts. It sounds to me like Iron Man would be right up my alley, but I'll likely wait until it's on HBO.

Unknown said...

They didn't skimp on the special effects and stunts, but Robert Downey, Jr. does a great job creating a memorable character out of Tony Stark/Iron Man.