Friday, July 08, 2005

What is a Data Janitor?

If you do a Google search on data janitor, you mostly wind up with links for database and data mining software. If you look carefully, you might find something about a musican by the name of Ken Vandermark. I stole the title of my blog from the title of one of his songs. When I started this blog, I thought I was going to write a lot about music and software, since they are two of my biggest interests in life. That hasn't been the case so far. I thought that maybe if I explain the significance of the name data janitor, it might inspire me.

Anyway, if you're interested in learning more about the song Data Janitor, you can listen to a clip here. In all fairness, it's a pretty lousy clip, the song is seven minutes long and the intro isn't even done before the 59 second clip ends. The Vandermark 5 is definitely my favorite band that is still alive and performing today. For an avant garde jazz unit, they have a tremendous amount of crossover appeal. If you're really into any of the alternative rock subgenres (punk, prog, kraut, etc.), you'll probably be able to find something you like in the Vandermark 5, even if you hate jazz.

No comments: