Thursday, April 24, 2008

Fly Like An Eagle

I've recently received a few postcards asking me to submit my current contact information for some sort of a national Eagle Scout database. I've ignored the requests so far, since I'm hesitant to respond to any unsolicited request for information. Besides, they already know where I live. Apparently, I'm not the only Eagle Scout blogger, because others have written about this already. A number of them have expressed reservations about responding to the campaign since they disagree with the BSA's anti-gay stance. While I also oppose the exclusionary policies of the BSA, my hesitance to send in my information stems more from laziness and privacy concerns than ideology. If I ever have a son and the BSA has not changed their policies by then, I'm not sure if I'll encourage him to join scouting or not. I certainly value the experiences that I had as a scout, but at the same time, I don't agree with the way they discriminate against gays and atheists.

No comments: