Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Demetrius Ypsilanti

We've recently started playing pub quiz on Tuesday nights Ri Ra. There was a question about Michigan tonight, perhaps in honor of Michigan's presidential primary. The question was which Michigan city is named after a hero from Greece's war for independence against the Turks. We didn't get it, unfortunately. The answer, of course, is Ypsilanti, named for Demetrius Ypsilanti, which incidentally is one of the coolest names I've ever heard. I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that we guessed Okemos, since it sounds kind of like a Greek name (it's actually Native American). I'm also ashamed to admit that I translated Turks into Trojans while thinking about the question, since I assume that all trivia about Greece refers to ancient Greece, so I wasn't even thinking in the right time period.

No comments: