Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Pinchy Would've Wanted It This Way


MDS and his wife were gracious enough to give us a lobster gram for our wedding, and we finally enjoyed it last night. Even though I had never prepared lobster before, I decided to forgo the traditional boil them in a pot method and try my hand at one of my favorite Chinese dishes, Cantonese style lobsters. The trick to this dish is that you have to kill the lobsters and crack them without removing the meat from the shell before cooking. Michelle has watched her Mom do this before and she wanted no part of it. I was a bit apprehensive about it myself, but I decided to give it a shot. I'm pretty sure that the lobsters died a quick and relatively painless death at my hands, but there appears to be a lobster equivalent of rigor mortis, because I saw movement in their legs even after I had torn off their claws and tails and split open their bodies.



Eating and cooking shellfish is about as close as most of us are going to get to the actual process of turning live animals into food. I know of a lot of people don't like to eat fish and shellfish because of this, but I think it's good to get up close and personal with your food every once in a while. It doesn't hurt that the stuff tastes so good, of course.



Tags:

No comments: