Friday, January 29, 2010

You Have Selected Regicide

If you know the name of the king or queen being murdered, press one.

I heard this story on NPR about a group of French royalists who want to restore the monarchy. They recently held their annual gathering at the Basilica of St. Denis to mark the anniversary of the beheading of King Louis XVI and the end of the French monarchy. I mention this not because I'm a some sort of a crypto-royalist or because I have Bourbon blood coursing through my veins (or perhaps, just bourbon) but because I visited the Basilica while in Paris a couple years ago and I thought it was really interesting. As the story points out, more than 50 French monarchs are interred at St. Denis, including Pépin le Bref (Charlemagne's Dad), Clovis I, and, of course, Louis XVI. It's definitely worth a visit if you're looking for something to do in Paris that's slightly off the beaten path but still touristy.


June 11, 2008 | 3:52 pm | Saint-Denis, France

1 comment:

radical royalist said...

Slight correction: French Royalists not just gathered in the Basilia of St. Denis, but in more thn 30 French cities from the South (like Toulon and Marseille) to the North (like Caen)
See a list here: Requiem Mass

I would not call it "their annual gathering", that sounds too much like AGM, but it was in commemoration of King Louis XVI. Another big occasion is to commemoration of Queen Marie-Antoinette (16th October). I wonder if NPR will send a journalist to cover the reqiem mass for the Queen as well.

Or for the requiem mass for the royal couples' murdered son, King Louis XVII (8th June)?