Thursday, August 07, 2008

Unleash the Beast

I've been laughing all day at this lame joke from today's installment of The Box of Paperbacks Book Club that for all intents and purposes, I shouldn't even understand. It's a recycled joke from some 1980s hack comedian whose name has been lost to the ages. Ready for it? What does HBO stand for (ca. mid 1980s)? Hey!, Beastmaster's on! Beastmaster, of course, is a 1980s sci-fi/fantasy movie that was in heavy rotation on cable during my childhood, but I've never actually seen the movie. I think I knew some people who were big fans of the movie, but I'm not even sure. For whatever reason, I've always found Beastmaster amusing, and I watched so much bad stand-up comedy on basic cable in the late 80s/early 90s that I can picture in my head the exact kind of comedian who would make a joke like this one.

2 comments:

The Svecs said...

I think it was Dennis Miller.

And random google search results confirm my hazy memory.

Truly the power of the internet has been shown here today, when two old friends living across the country from one another dredged up quotes from almost 20 years ago.

Unknown said...

Well done, sir. Another example of why one should never blog without Googling.