Thursday, September 22, 2005

Take My Wife, Please

One thing that I've always found mildly annoying is the way people refer to members of their family using phrases like: "my wife", "my brother", "my son", etc. in the presense of people who already know the real names of these people. This seems to happen the most in work environments. I once had a boss who always referred to his wife by her name, but always referred to his children chronologically (my oldest, my youngest, etc.) He had more than two kids though, so it often made things kind of clumsy, i.e. "I was at my second-oldest's soccer game last night..." Now that I'm married, I'm trying not to fall into this habit, but it's hard. I've broken this rule at least once on my blog, though I don't know if I everyone who reads this is on a first name basis with my wife (Michelle). So far, I'm one for two today at work.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can see how those who view possession as ten-tenths of the law would be prone to this. I think a lot of it is just laziness.

Unknown said...

Possession is nine-tenths of the law is kind of like the glass half full/half empty test. Only instead of determining if you are an optimist or a pessimist, it determines if you are a capitalist or a communist.

Capitalists will look at the phrase and decide that it means that the law cannot be used to take away that which is rightfully yours except in the most extreme circumstances (the other one-tenth of the law).

Communists will look at it and decide that by law, they can control any resource that can be wrested away from its original owner, except in the most extreme circumstances.

In addition to siding with the communist interpretation of this phrase in your comments, you also stated your desire to expropriate any revenues that I may collect from my blog, MDS. Based on this information, I have to assume that you are a commie.